Tana River County
Tana River County is one of the six Counties in the Coast region. It borders Kitui County to the West, Garissa County to the North East, Isiolo County to the North, Lamu County to the South East and Kilifi County to the South. The county lies between latitudes 000â€™53â€ and 200â€™41â€™â€™ South and longitudes 38025â€™43â€ and 400 15â€™ East. The county has a total area of 38,862.2 Km2 with a projected population of 276,567(KNBS, 2014) and covers about 76 kms of the coastal strip. The County is composed of three administrative Sub-Counties namely; Bura, Galole, Tana Delta, three constituencies namely; Galole, Bura and Garsen and 15 electoral wards
Criterion for Selection of the County
- Tana River County has 4% arable land and 96% non-arable.
- The economic activity in the non-arable land is pastoralism.
- The pastoral and agro pastoral communities face numerous livelihood risks including recurrent drought, conflicts over resources, flooding along the River Tana among others.
- Tana delta acts as a dry season grazing area that attracts pastoralists from other neighbouring counties thus putting pressure on the resources.
- Average rainfall in the county is less than 600ml per year.
- It is against this background that Tana River County was selected to build the resilience of the communities.
Capital Investment Status
|Livestock Corridor||Investment and Location||Â||Investments events Status|
|Capacity||CMDRR||Feasibility Study||Screening||Safeguard studies||Remarks|
|Component One: Natural Resources Management|
|Bangale â€“ Wayu â€“ Garsen â€“ Galana||Construction of Bangale water pan
|–||âˆšâˆš||âˆšâˆš||NA||NA||Hydrological survey yielded negative|
|Bangale â€“ Wayu â€“ Garsen â€“ Galana||Lebille water pan||30,000m3||âˆšâˆš||âˆšâˆš||âˆšâˆš||âˆšâˆš||Investment is at contract award stage|
|Bangale â€“ Wayu â€“ Garsen â€“ Galana||Iddi water pan||30,000m3||âˆšâˆš||âˆšâˆš||âˆšâˆš||âˆšâˆš||Investment is at contract award stage|
|NewÂ water pan||Â||xx||xx||xx||xx||Building community consensus|
|Madogo â€“ Chaldede â€“ Hirimani- Galole- Hara- Garsen||Rehabilitation of water pan||Â||xx||xx||xx||xx||CMDRR to be carried out|
|New borehole||Â||xx||xx||xx||xx||CMDRR to be carried out|
|Bush clearing /Management ( Invasive species)||60ha||xx||xx||xx||xx||Â|
|TseTse Control||10 traps||NA||NA||NA||NA||Â|
|Component Two: Market Access and Trade|
|Construction of suitable storage facilities for food storage – construction of one grain warehouse||Â||xx||xx||xx||xx||Â|
|Component Three: Livelihood Support|
|Rehabilitation of crushes in 3 Sub counties||Â||NA||NA||NA||NA||Â|
|Refurbish and Equip County Laboratories||Â||NA||NA||NA||NA||Â|
|Investments in Irrigation and irrigated agriculture enhanced||Â||xx||xx||xx||xx||Â|
|Component Four: Pastoral Risk Management|
|Component Five: PMIS|
|Renovation of project office||Â||NA||NA||NA||NA||Â|
Capital Investment Status
|âˆšâˆš :||Complete||âˆšx :||In progress||xx:||Not Carried Out|